My thoughts on school openings; BlogDay37/100(-26)

 This started as a response to a spark friend's similarly titled post, but I decided to post it here:


News in the past fortnight: masks *DO* protect the wearer...Dr. Sanjay Gupta on CNN on a recent early AM had a graph with how much protection they offer: bandanas = some, cone paper = more, stitched cloth double layer = most. Here's an article I found about this doing a quick search: https://www.msn.com/en-us/heal
th/me
dical/how-much-protection-do
es-
your-mask-give-you-others/ar
-BB16purY You could find the exact numbers if you care to do further research. If they didn't offer protection, hospitals wouldn't have been/be screaming for more PPE.

Other countries are doing better, because they had sane policies that followed the science, sooner or later. It's political because it's been SO bungled here, and thus politicized further. Following science is all that'll get US out of this mess; I support schools being open, along the same lines as states should be...when the metrics say so; CDC said originally when 14 days of decreasing cases. Per science, it's estimated we should be testing twice as many people as we are. The 'rosy' model' the admin used (a 'mandates easing' =worst case scenario says double to quadruple the number of deaths). Maddow literally was just quoting this study...over half a million people by year's end. Dead. The number of suicides at home does not compare.

Also, EVEN though most kids (new data qualifies that as kids 10 & under) don't get sick, some do. A 6 month old baby just died the other day. Here in MI, in April, an 8 year (who's parents were a cop & a nurse, essentials) died; parents didn't, then, don't know now. Also, it's unknown how kids' lungs, affected with covid, but live, will be affected, in the long term, but *at best*, they will be unaffected. Worst...???

Also, in addition to endangering the kids/student, the faculty and staff at schools...the family members of the kids (esp. the grandparents and parents) will get sick from a kid bringing it home from another kid, and also pass it to their at-home siblings, including toddlers. Imo, it's a weighty decision to be made, and it shouldn't just be kid's choice, any more than it's their choice around their health in any other way.

As to distance learning problems in Spring 2020: the schools had to SCRAMBLE to get it set up in March (because, again, bungled; my family and friends didn't believe me that schools would be shut down in March for the rest of the school year, maybe calendar year, when I told them that in late Feb; lots of folks thought it was just going to be for a couple of weeks; I hoped it was too, but didn't think so). I have 2 sisters who are teachers, and I used to be one (STEaM). If I was one now, I'd quit if I was forced into a classroom with kids in anything but a very low transmission area. My sister in Canada (her small town has had no deaths, very low total number of cases) has a situation where she travels and sees lots of students (not just 1 classroom); she's made the decision she's not going to teach. Other sister's school system, a poor one, is going to remote, but teachers will be in classroom, and will be much more prepared, engaged with how to teach the material remotely (lots of continuing ed on this this summer; she was in a meeting about it when I called her this afternoon) & tech hardware is being ramped up so all kids have their own. (via some grants & some philanthropy; might not be possible in a non-urban area)

It's a hard choice, but really shouldn't be; it didn't have to be this way. Vote competence in November.

If your child does go to school, start practicing now with a mask, for full days wearing glasses etc., because it's awkward and hard to work with and might as well learn how to function with it on while not in a plagued area.

Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • v56ROSE
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I must say that I'm thankful that my kids are grown & long gone...such a tough decision for all! emoticon
    389 days ago
  • v1CRAZYDOG
    I agree w/everything you've said 100%. It is a real catastrophe, until science wins out. **SIGH*


    390 days ago
  • vKPHEALTHY4LIFE
    emoticon
    390 days ago
  • vMSMOSTIMPROVED
    My sister is an educator and I worry about her safety. We are both parents and want our kids back in school but not before it can be done safely for everyone. Science is key!
    390 days ago
  • vLORI-K
    Thank you for sharing everything you said here.

    A church camp in TX just had a large number of KIDS test positive. Last week, the news out of Corpus Christi said the number of INFANTS who tested positive so far was 85. Of course children are getting the virus, and dying! And like you mentioned, children who have been at school can bring it home to parents, grandparents, siblings. And then the teachers, admins, cafeteria workers, janitors....
    Who thinks this is a good idea? And why? UGH!
    There is NO WAY I would send my child back to a school building any time soon, and if I were a teacher, I would QUIT too! I am sorry your sister in Canada had to make that decision. I hope only the best for your sister staying on to teach remotely.
    You hit the nail on the head by stating vote for COMPETENCE in November. From the top all the way down. It’s astounding to me that anyone can still think masks don’t help. And that this virus isn’t killing thousands of people, UNDER 65, TOO!,!)

    Willful ignorance. We simply must get out the vote. It’s the only way.
    emoticon emoticon
    390 days ago

    Comment edited on: 7/21/2020 5:58:01 PM
  • vJIBBIE49
    The private school where my GDS (6 & 8) go has 2200 students K4-12 and the college has run the Sports Camp (reduced number) since June 1st and the STEM camp has been at the school, with no problem at all. Children didn't wear masks but counselors have been. I am not worried about the fall. Last year 154 children died from the flu nationwide. Covid 19 can be deadly for people over 65, but even those have other health issues such as obesity, diabetes, asthma, COPD, heart disease, smokers, etc. Low Vitamin D has been found to be a factor, as is men who are bald, as they have more hormone which helps the virus attach to cells. If you listen to the Youtube channel of Dr. John Campbell, who has been giving reports since January, he explains that people with darker skin have lower Vitamin D because they need to stay out in the sun longer in order to make it.
    My GDS need to go back to school, since they didn't do well from March to May with the video school we did although I had them do every lesson and we took about 5 hours each day to get it done. I read that in California when they shut the schools and spent millions on giving poor kids computers to do online school that 40% never logged on one time. If parents can't help kids get homework assignments done, they won't do online school.
    I do admire anyone who teaches school as it is a tough job. I worked as a nurse in a nursing home and that wasn't easy either.
    390 days ago
  • vSONGBIRD1218
    As an educator, I want to go back to school...but.....only if safety measures are in place to allow me to teach effectively. That is just too hard to do right now. So I will be teaching virtually until the proper measures are put in place.
    390 days ago
  • vSISUGAL906
    There's so many things to consider. Thanks for bringing these ideas forward.
    390 days ago
  • vELSCO55
    I think schools are better prepared for online learning. As an educator with a compromised immune system, I am not ready to go back to the classroom.
    390 days ago
  • vno profile photoCD17492635
    Covid-19 is a horrible virus. The U.S. response had been completely bungled. I am voting for an intelligent, competent, science backed adult in November!
    390 days ago

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogday 13(-5)_100days: 'How're you getting groceries?' (& some bi*ching & whining)

Solstice Blessings

Dec. '21 SMART -er Goals Plan & Visualizations