Melting March Springs Spring

 

My theme for this month (which I did start on Monday, but hadn't been able to blog) , is "Melting March", meaning melting me in the melting environment around me. I had hints of and inspiration for the thaw from others this past Saturday night full moon zoom—populated mostly by people here in the mitten of Michigan, and mostly gardeners, and some slightly colder places: the UP of MI and Quebec—and many of them mentioned seeing snowdrops (a first flower of Spring) near them. That day, our snowdrops were still under 2 feet of snow. But now I had heard of others’ first tangible sign of Spring springing in...we still had temps that I decided were too cold and icy for me to go for walks safely, especially after hurting my hip last month snow-shoveling.
emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon
February was a bit of a bust for me, on the sparking front, as it has often been: short and brutish (and brutishly cold, after a mostly mild winter), indulgent, cozy, and including resolution-busting events like family birthdays, including my own, and Valentines, and needing to ‘finish’ winter sweets, while watching the birds, bunnies, squirrels and deer (which we try to dissuade cuz lyme disease from deer ticks) at my feeders, and just winter & covid doldrums. My folks, in their 80's, have both been fully vaccinated (luckily our county had a wait list, so it was easy), as have my essential worker sister, and my other essential teacher sister, but me, with my obesity and autoimmune issues. is still waiting for my group (1C under 65) to open. But now it's GREAT news that there will be enough for all by May's end. Spring springing....


Not snowdrops but I do love a purple crocus, raising it's lavender head through the snow
emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon
Meanwhile, it’s the last week of the Winter 5% challenge. I had a lot of success in January, but really hope, scratch that, I PLAN to melt some serious fat in March (i.e. melting March). I’m literally planting seeds...in the garden, in winter pots, under grow lights, in the basement, on the kitchen window sill, of spinach, peas, greens, flowers, spring and summer veg, codes, and my body and health.
emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon
My 7 motifs of March include daily and day-focused: independence/solitude, outdoors, gardening, working out (twice a day, by including more morning movement), ultimate healthy cooking, work coding, and compassion, represented for me by Kwan Yin, because it’s been trying times. But now the end is in sight (tho I’m not in TX or MS), it’s time to make pysankas (Ukrainian decorated eggs), check out flower farming (a dream deferred by covid), strawbale structures and alternative community arrangements. But first, it’s time to go for my morning walk, while it’s still (relatively, for me, sometimes) morning, the 3rd day in a row I’ve been good to go! (and even though it’s been slow going for me, it’s helping with my hip, tho I did slip and fall on it on my walk on Sunday). Later, seed sowing outside, and in containers, making nut butters, dressings and my kale light* pesto, and whole wheat lemon poppyseed bread/muffins, along with some basement work, coding and org. Later this week: officialdom, provisions, and tackling taxing tasks of spring cleaning.
emoticon
Also, the sparkrecipe that popped up just now was so vernal: Quinoa Salad with Spring Radishes and Greens. Inspiration: Gonna plant some radishes today. Yesterday I read that the greens of radish make a great pesto...who knew?
*recipe coming soon


Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • vno profile photoCD4994568
    I will be so happy when spring flowers appear. We also have about 8" of snow to melt before that happens!!
    164 days ago
  • vMSMOSTIMPROVED
    Green pesto with radishes sounds intriguing! I have no hope of gardening outdoors but, I look forward to the recipe and your garden pics emoticon
    164 days ago
  • v1CRAZYDOG
    Good plans for March!

    I think w/the Johnson and Johnson vaccine coming onto the scene now, it will be a little less burdensome to get people vaccinated!

    Hugs and a successful March to you.


    164 days ago
  • vJOHNMARTINMILES
    Awright!

    Make today the greatest day of your life
    Until tomorrow!

    "We struggle with the complexities and avoid the simplicities."
    Norman Vincent Peale
    164 days ago

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogday 13(-5)_100days: 'How're you getting groceries?' (& some bi*ching & whining)

Solstice Blessings

Dec. '21 SMART -er Goals Plan & Visualizations