Down a pound? Scale Fluctuations:Blog43/ 100(-39)

 

So the summer5% team has weigh-ins on Saturday (night). I was hoping I could keep up my streak of loss every week I've had so far this summer, but I *did* binge several times this week, and while I exercised a couple hours several days, I wasn't as hardcore as previous weeks, so I just wasn't sure.
emoticon
Then yesterday I had a very bad stomach ache, a literal pain in my stomach, which I noticed in the AM, before breakfast, but it was a stabbing pain for much of the afternoon. I thought it might have been related to my binges or maybe a slight food poisoning from some of the raw freggies that I eat in large quantities (& several carrots was one of my binges, a healthier one). So I had very low calorie count yesterday, just my standard breakfast, and a small yogurt when I was really hungry at dinner time, and mostly lay around, & watched tv.

I weighed myself in the evening, but was feeling pretty weak, and it was jumping around, and I was wearing extra clothes because I was cold (am often cold when ill) and it was still jumping around, but all below last week's weight, and I got dizzy so I just decided to estimate it, as -0.1. Then around 6AM when I got up today, I was feeling better (if I hadn't been, I might have sought medical attention) and the scale said I was down -1.2. It seemed weird to me, so about an hour ago (after mostly watching TV and computing, no breakfast or liquids yet) I decided to weigh myself again, and this time within hours, stepping on the scale multiple times this time, and each time was -0.4, so that's what I posted as my updated weight.
emoticon
The scale fluctuates; we stress over the results, looking for every little ounce of progress to be magnified and sped up a trillion-fold, because we are human. It's really kind of arbitrary. As a math-y and science-y person, I record the fluctuations of data, but because the data is about my body, I imbue all kinds of personal power and emotional angst in that data and its changes. Writing this all out reminds me of the scale I used in the last lab I worked at in college...it was a sensitive scale, down to the 0.0001g; we used it to weigh out the powders (solutes) we would mix with water (solvent) to make our solutions; the water was usually measured by volume, but occasionally measured by weight in very small amounts. If you had a drop of water on a glass slide, you could watch the last digit (0.000x) slowly get smaller and smaller. It was the water evaporating into the atmosphere.
emoticon


Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • vMILPAM3
    I've been exercising (walking) every day and eating very little and the scale went up 3 lb. this morning. Ach!
    371 days ago
  • vMERMAIDLIFE
    I hope you're feeling better!
    371 days ago
  • vIMPROVINGME
    So sorry you had to go through the bad stomach ache yesterday, but glad that you are feeling better today.
    Have a great week ahead!
    371 days ago
  • v79PODGIRL
    Oh my goodness, I feel you on the investment in weighing myself, sometimes to my detriment. I am so glad you're feeling better, and a loss is a loss is a loss no matter what.
    371 days ago
  • v1CRAZYDOG
    OH that's so cool about that ultra-sensitive scale that you could actually see the weight of the water decreasing as it evaporated.

    AS for people, well, wish it worked that way, but nope. You did good despite the odds and hope you're feeling better.


    371 days ago
  • vLORI-K
    The scale is the bane of our existence sometimes. WTG on the posted loss.
    I’m so glad you’re feeling better after fighting a stomach ache. Have a great week and keep up your plan!
    emoticon
    372 days ago

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogday 13(-5)_100days: 'How're you getting groceries?' (& some bi*ching & whining)

Solstice Blessings

Dec. '21 SMART -er Goals Plan & Visualizations