Edible milkweeds-not only (tho mostly) for Monarchs

 So I harvested some young milkweeds from the lawn that were gonna be mowed down anyway; they had escaped the garden, where we leave them for the monarchs (plus the flowers have a LOVELY scent).


Chopped & cooked them today, sauteing with artichoke hearts & marinade, plus coconut oil, garlic, first harvest of basil & heirloom cherry tomatoes, on top of protein-plus-pasta.

I LOVE basil w tomatoes, or as pesto, which means it's really summertime when the harvest (or local farmer's market) provides enough; sometime I even get wads of it at the grocery store or when I'm at a town that has a TJ's or WF.

Anyway, it was good, looked like nice asparagus shoots, very green, tasted a bit like a cross between broccoli and young dandelion (but not bitter).

When tracking my food tonight, I had to enter milkweed into the nutrition information in the foods database, which I found online. If you ever want a 'look-up nutrition info' point, search milkweed: 2 cups have only 50 calories, & there's some protein & iron & potassium in there!

Image from:
http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/
search/label/milkweed

tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/s
earch/label/milkweed


Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • v1CRAZYDOG
    never tried it!
    1539 days ago
  • vMILPAM3
    How interesting! I only knew that the silk inside the pods was used by native Americans for cushioning and diapering inside the papooses.
    1540 days ago
  • vno profile photoCD4994568
    Did not know the shoots could be eaten. Interesting!
    1540 days ago
  • vno profile photoL_DROUIN
    I tried eating dandelion greens and the recipe I had said to wash them and than soak them in salt water for an hour. I ended up leaving them in the salt water longer and they weren't bitter. I am craving them now. I didn't know that you can eat milk weed to I am going to look it up and read more about it. I also like to eat fiddleheads which are a type of fern.
    1540 days ago
  • vLOSEDAPOUNDS
    Had no idea humans could eat milkweed. I looooove fresh basil. Sadly my basil plants have been used up from us plucking away to use the leaves. Enjoy your lovely garden.
    1540 days ago

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogday 13(-5)_100days: 'How're you getting groceries?' (& some bi*ching & whining)

Solstice Blessings

Dec. '21 SMART -er Goals Plan & Visualizations